Coaching is not training. Coaching is working on specific skills or issues in a relaxed and unpressured environment where the focus is on what you want to achieve, rather than meeting the objectives of a specific agency course and requirements for certification. Instead it’s working on what you wish to focus on.
Many divers often end up taking courses which don’t meet expectations or their needs as individuals. Or some simply lurch from certification to certification, believing that the course completion is the objective, rather than the skill set it imparts and find themselves unconfident in some aspect long after a course is over. Or divers who have not been on any technical dives for some time may just be rusty and want a workshop conducted to brush up.
For each diver the reason for seeking out coaching is different. Examples of the goals we might incude in coaching sessions :
- Pool & Confined water skill and drills for those who are rusty or out of practice with some of the fundamentals of technical diving such as valve drills, S drills etc.
- Simulated staged decompression stop diving in open water to build confidence in holding stops.
- Specific preparation for an upcoming course.
- Transitioning skills as a wetsuit diver to a dry suit diver and reconfiguring gear, drills and so on.
- Gear critique of your rig and selection advice on an entirely independent basis, rather than promoting a certain brand that a dive store may offer.
- Trim and buoyancy control refinement.
- Dive theory and refresher workshops including ratio deco, tables, gas planning or any other subjects.
- A combination of any of the above, or just about any other aspect of technical or advanced diving !
How does coaching work ?
Before any coaching, we need to know what your specific goals are and what you would like to achieve from our time together. Once our instructors have a clear picture, then we advise on a schedule. Normally, coaching takes place over an entire single day and fees are a fixed daily rate. Additionally, if we are conducting dives from a boat or require any gear hire or gasses then these will usually be in addition.
You will have a clear quote before you commit as to the cost, the goal and schedule for the day before you make any commitment.
Are coaching sessions private or group ?
Coaching is normally one on one and completely private. However, as advanced diving and technical diving is team orientated, sometimes building strong team focus skills and working with your regular diving partners is a real benefit. We are happy to provide a daily rate for groups of up to 3 divers who can share the cost as they see fit.
Do you guarantee your results ?
Naturally we cannot guarantee that you will attain your goal, however we are confident that you will at an absolute minimum be well on the road to meeting them and have a clear and defined pathway to follow to achieve what your goal.